Important COVID-19 Outreaches
During this crisis, God has opened a number of doors for ministry to Metrowest, opportunities the Outreach team is coordinating. Please prayerfully consider your role in God’s kingdom plan and if any of these opportunities might fit your desires and/or gifts.
* Meals to area hospitals: Many have contributed to Westgate’s COVID fund which is allowing us to provide meals to hospital workers. Last week we purchased meals from a local eatery and Pete and Mimi Karys attached a note of thanks as they delivered them to Newton-Wellesley hospital. A second round of meals were delivered yesterday (5/5). We are also in conversation with the MetroWest Medical Center in Natick and Framingham and a local nursing home about providing meals or gift bags.
* A big thank you: May 6 – May 12 is Nurses Week across the country. Metrowest Medical Center has suggested we invite people from Westgate to “cheer health care workers on” during their shift changes. We would bring signs and cheer them on. Contact Luke Halberstadt (luke.halberstadt @ gmail.com) if you’d like to be a part of this expression of gratitude this weekend.
* Gift bags and thank you cards: We have made over one hundred gift bags that will include our Westgate thank you along with cards from children. These may be given at our “big thank you” times or at a later date. If you or your children would like to create thank you cards, please deliver them to church during office hours.
* 3-D Printed Respirator masks: We have connected with local towns to see what help is needed. Weston is asking for volunteers to assemble 3-D printed respirator masks for health care workers. Glue guns are needed and instructions will be given. If you are interested please contact Bruce Daggett (pastorbruce @ westgate-church.org).
* Cloth masks: Sewing and distributing cloth masks is a good way to serve our neighbors. We have some ideas on how to make the biggest impact while sharing these. Contact Bruce Daggett if you are able to sew masks or wish to coordinate this ministry.
* Medical gowns: Sew medical gowns using a simple pattern or donate cotton fabric in lengths of 3 yards or longer. This is a new request and will serve those in nursing homes as they come alongside any patients in isolation. Contact Bruce Daggett if you are interested (pastorbruce @ westgate-church.org).
* Blood drive: Local blood banks are in short supply. We are in conversation with Red Cross about the potential of hosting a blood drive at Westgate. For now, we encourage people to consider giving blood at a Red Cross area drive. Framingham Plymouth church is hosting a drive on May 14 and Regis College is hosting a drive on May 19. Those who are healthy and eligible to give blood or platelets, are urged to make an appointment to donate as soon as possible by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org/give or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Our vision is to see Christ treasured above all things in Metrowest and throughout the world. Our hope is that these opportunities are used by God to draw people toward Christ.
The Outreach Team