If you were experiencing housing insecurity in Boston, did you know that on Thursday afternoons, you could go to Starlight Ministries’ Opportunity Resource Center (ORC) and get a haircut, a shower, some food, internet access, travel size toiletries and clothing - all without cost? The ORC has a back room filled with some new and mostly used clothing, toiletries and more. More importantly, you would have the opportunity to pray with or receive prayer from a Christian volunteer.
Westgate has partnered with Starlight to help with providing resources. There are two sets of donation bins – one in Fellowship Hall, and one upstairs in the library.
Suggested donations include:
- Sample-sized toiletries – soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion
- Deodorant, single-use razors and combs
- Toothbrushes (individually wrapped) and/or toothpaste
- Sample-sized mouthwash that does NOT include any alcohol
- Gently used clothing (men’s and women’s)
- New socks
- New underwear
- Bras (new or gently used)
- Thermals, hoodies, sweatshirts and sweaters
- Shoes, sneakers, sandals and boots
- Coats and vests
- Hats – winter hats and baseball caps
- Gloves, mittens and scarves
- Women’s decorative scarves and men’s ties
- Belts – men and women
- New or used backpacks, duffel bags and/or carry-on bags
- Jewelry (inexpensive only)
- Reading glasses (please label re strength)
If your clothing donation is torn or has a broken zipper – we have several people at Westgate that are willing to do some mending. If you leave an item that needs a bit of repair, please attach a note so that we see it before showing it to one of our guests.
We sometimes receive donations that Starlight cannot use. In those cases, we make sure that we donate the item(s) to another non-profit organization that can make good use of the items.
For more information, please contact Nancy Brown, Mimi Karys or Dave Edel.
Starlight Ministries is a part of Emmanuel Gospel Center Inc at 2 San Juan St., Boston, MA and is a holistic Christian organization with a goal to support people experiencing homelessness by addressing physical, emotional and spiritual needs. Although Starlight is a Christian non-profit, they do not discriminate and all adults are welcome to be served by their programs.