Position: Student Minister
Status: Part-Time (approx. 15-20 hrs/wk for 2-3 years)
Posted: April 3, 2013
Westgate Church (Evangelical Free Church of America) is looking for a part-time Student Minister to assist with our junior and senior high ministries by providing leadership and ministering the gospel to students, helping them become rooted, grow, and bear fruit as part of a gospel-centered community living each day on mission for Christ.
This position is for a two or three year term, and also includes opportunities to preach and gain general pastoral ministry experience in addition to student ministry.
Character and Conviction
The Student Minister holds an important shepherding role within the church, and is held to the same standard as elders. This man must therefore meet the following qualifications:
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ marked by spiritual maturity, humility, joy, love, prayer, and an utter dependence on the gospel of Jesus.
- A life that accords with the character qualifications for elders laid out in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
- Agreement with Westgate Church’s Statement of Faith.
- Agreement with and desire to live out Westgate Church’s Vision Statement.
- Agreement with and willingness to serve in accordance with the values and philosophy of our student and family ministries.
Skill and Experience
The Student Minister must be a capable leader who is organized, relates well with people, and is able to fulfill the responsibilities listed below. He should be both a self-starter and a team player, able to work in concert with the pastoral staff and lay ministry leaders while thinking beyond the traditional youth group model and working creatively to engage students with the gospel.
As a minister of the Word, the Student Minister must be able to faithfully and effectively communicate God’s Word to the congregation in general and junior and senior high school students in particular. He will have significant experience discipling young people, being capable of explaining the gospel to non-Christians and helping Christians apply the gospel of Jesus to all parts of life. He will be able to impart basic spiritual disciplines and help students navigate life issues and questions of faith and culture. He will be capable of training parents and adult volunteers in similar ministry skills. He will also respect and encourage parents in their efforts to raise and disciple their children.
The Student Minister’s previous experience will likely include either an undergraduate ministry degree, 4+ years of youth ministry experience, or some combination of the two. He will preferably be enrolled in or planning to pursue a master’s level degree toward a career in pastoral ministry.
The Student Minister must also pass a CORI (criminal report) check.
The Student Minister serves under the supervision of the Associate Pastor and is accountable to the Board of Elders. His principal responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with pastoral staff and lay ministry leaders to shape our student ministries around our vision and engage students faithfully and creatively with the gospel.
- Contribute to the planning, coordination, and communication of student ministry activities, events, and teaching focus.
- Participate in regular student ministry activities, leading as needed.
- Network with other area churches and ministries for the sake of collaboration and resourcing.
- Participate regularly in Sunday morning worship services.
- Initiate and build relationships with high school students in particular, as well as parents and adult leaders.
- Train students in basic doctrines and spiritual disciplines.
- Equip students to be able to minister the gospel to others and serve others for the sake of Christ.
- Teach the Word of God, helping students see the gospel at the center and bringing God’s Word to bear on their lives.
- Help train/equip adult leaders in gospel-centered discipleship of youth.
- Be available for counsel for students or parents.
- Be coached in gospel-centered pastoral ministry.
- Participate in learning opportunities (e.g. reading assignments, workshops, conferences).
- Receive experience/exposure to general pastoral duties (e.g. visitation, preaching, sacraments, boards/committees, weddings, funerals).
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and, if available, a sample sermon (audio format preferred) to PastorBrandon @ westgate-church.org.
Click on this link for a PDF of this Position Profile.